Friday, April 13, 2007

PKD AND SF

"Science fiction writers worry about trends, worry about possible dystopias growing out of the present, and this is a cardinal virtue of the field. Admittedly, there was a time when science and progress were assumed to be identical. If we worry now we have cause to...

Viewpoint and concern in science fiction are a transaction among author, editor, and reader, to which the critic is a spectator. If the reader enjoys what I write, there you have it. If he does not enjoy it, there you have nothing. 'Important' is a rule for another game that I am not playing. I did not begin to read or write SF for reasons dealing with importance. When I sat in highschool geometry class secretly reading a copy of Astounding hidden within a textbook I was not seeking importance. I was seeking, probably, intellectual excitement. Mental stimulation."

Philip K Dick, from a review of The Cybernetic Imagination In Science Fiction, a book published by M.I.T. Press, 1980.